24 November 2011

Touchy Subject is Touchy (something tells me I'll delete this post soon)

     For the record, I'd like to let you know now that I am religiously tolerant and whether or not you're an Atheist is all the same to me. These are my opinions based on my religious beliefs and , obviously, what I say about a group of people here does not apply to everyone (meaning that any stereotyping I make is purely because I don't feel like always following it with a "but, of course, that doesn't apply to everyone", because I'd easily veer off the original topic). This is just something that's been on my mind for some time now and the Atheists I know in real life have not been able to give me an actual answer to the questions that will be asked in the following post. Thank you for your time.


Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

For a few minutes, I'd like you to forget everything holiday specials have told you about the true meaning of Christmas and bear with me. Christmas is most definitely not about giving without expecting anything in return, spending time with your loved ones, or putting up enough lights to be on a television special. What it comes down to, basically, is celebrating the birth of Christ. Hence, Christmas. Christmas.

Jews have Hanukkah, Christians have Christmas, etc. Atheists have, well, nothing. They don't have any religious beliefs (unless you count the lack of one as a belief), so they have no religious holidays. So, why, I ask, do they celebrate Christmas, of all holidays to celebrate? Sure, people see this as a normal thing. Can't blame them, really. I used to as well. But, picture this: an Atheist family gathering around a lit menorah. Strange, right? And somewhat offensive to Jews. So, why is it not strange for Atheists to celebrate Christmas?

I've been told by a few Atheists that they celebrate Christmas purely because it's a happy time; a time when they can be with their family and be gluttons all day; a time that's more magical than Disneyland itself. I have nothing against that. Everyone's entitled to be happy, right? I just don't necessarily appreciate/understand why they keep the name of the holiday and practise almost all of the traditions that come with the holiday. I know they mean no harm, but I can't help but feel offended. You don't just steal holidays from other religions and adjust them to your beliefs. You have to understand that it's a sacred holiday. You don't go about altering the entire meaning behind it. Make your own holiday or something.

I know I come off as an ignorant fool by voicing opinions such as these, but, as an actual Christian who actually celebrates Christmas the way it's actually meant to be celebrated, I feel offended. I mean, not only are they basically changing the holiday altogether, but why this particular holiday? From my experience, whenever I come across an Atheist who enjoys trolling (the preceding phrase should be enough to tell you that what I'm about to say does not apply to all Atheists, yo), he/she is primarily against Christianity. I never hear Atheists talk against Buddhism or Hinduism. Just Christianity. I don't mean to throw Jews under the bus, but why couldn't Atheists pick Hanukkah instead of Christmas? What's the difference? You don't believe in any of it.

Some Atheists claim to celebrate secular Christmases. That's rich. A Christmas without Christ. HOW FUNNY. Why celebrate Christmas at all? Why put up a tree? Why get Christmas lights and sing Christmas carols (which, by the way, almost always have a reference to Christianity or a passage from the Bible. But, hey, you wouldn't know, because you're not Christian) and tell people how much you love Christmas? THAT IS NOT CHRISTMAS, AHH.

Again, I'm not against Atheists and I really am not trying to offend anyone. I'm sincerely wondering why Atheists do this and would really like an answer. So, if you're an Atheist with an actual, satisfying answer, please leave a comment. Refrain from swearing or name-calling. Be mature about this. Religion's not an easily-handled topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment