21 June 2011

In The Backseat

** In The Backseat is a song by one of, if not my favourite, contemporary bands, Arcade Fire. As a little side-note, I'd like to add that while others might think that Reginé is a low-quality singer, I think she's a perfect fit for the feeling and atmosphere created by their music. No other voice could ever go as well with the sounds of the piano, bass, and violin that always carry the the most boppin' melodies in their songs. So, to those of you who get the feeling of dropping orphans in acid when you hear her sing (I'm talking to you, Dad and sister), you just can't appreciate the passion that she has when she sings...and frankly, that sucks for you, man.



Now, I have been listening to this song for an eternity now. It's always been such a fantastic masterpiece to me and something I can totally relate to. Here are some of the lyrics (I've dissected the song and would like to share some of my thoughts on it with you):



I like the peace
in the backseat,
I don't have to drive,
I don't have to speak,
I can watch the country side,
and I can fall asleep.

My family tree's
losing all its leaves,
crashing towards the driver's seat,
the lightning bolt made enough heat
to melt the street beneath your feet.

Alice died
in the night,
I've been learning to drive.
My whole life,
I've been learning.

When I first listened to this song, all I thought it was about was a drive in the night, just getting lost in your thoughts while sitting in the backseat of a car and looking out the window, observing your surroundings. That idea was fun while it lasted. Yesterday, I listened to it again, and came to the conclusion that it really had nothing to do with driving. Problem was that the entire time I thought that instead of
learning, it was longing. So even the second conclusion was wrong. That conclusion, by the way, was that it was about always going in "the backseat of life" to avoid doing things for yourself. Always being driven to places, never driving to them yourself. That it was about taking the easy way in life despite the fact that deep down, you really do want to do things for yourself and become your own person, capable of looking after yourself. Basically, always being afraid to take chances. But then, I looked up the lyrics, and realised that I was wrong yet again. Now, I believe the song is about sitting back and learning from what you see out "the car window in the backseat" so you can "learn to drive". Y'know what I mean? Like, learning how to do things from others' experiences instead of your own. But, you know, I could be wrong. The song could just be about going out for a drive in the night, getting lost in your thoughts and looking out the window, watching the hundreds of thousands of blades of grass pass you by at 55mph. I guess I'll never really know until I ask Arcade Fire myself. Till then, I'll choose whatever I think it's about depending on the situation I'm in and how I feel in the moment.




*Please excuse the syntax errors (if any). I'm really sleepy and can't really think straight. I'm going to bed now. :) Goodnight!
**I _just_ found out what the song means...and good Lord, I am a moron.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing songs again later and coming to a completely different conclusion about what the song is really about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Te invito a compartir una hsitoria muy interesante en mi blog: http://historiasqueinspiran.blogspot.com/2011/01/el-poder-de-las-palabras.html#comments

    ReplyDelete