3 June 2011

Goals for the Season

When I was younger, summer vacation meant staying at hotels for a few days with my family, driving around the island, and taking part in some sort of hobby. Recently, my summers have been...pretty bad. I mean, I do things that, in the moment, seem like a lot of fun, but when I go back to school and my friends are sharing their adventurous anecdotes with me and the rest of our peers, ...I look back and realise I'd done nothing memorable. I didn't go on trips, because we can't afford it (curse the lower-middle class lifestyle!), I didn't really have any fun hobbies in mind, I can't do anything with my sister, because she either likes to sleep in, go on FaceBook (a site I hate), or go out with her lover, and my curfew's messed up from staying up past midnight that first day of freedom, thus ruining any chances I'd had to go out during the day and fully appreciate the experience. Just today, in fact, I woke up at 6:00pm. I know...I know. But then, I remembered: during the second term in school last year, I made many, many lists. Lists of places I want to see, books I want to read, things I want to do, hobbies I'd like try out, films/programmes I want to watch, bands I want to check out, and things of that nature. Now, the downside of it all is that most of things I'd love to experience involve money in some way [make your own joke here]. "Get a job", you say? I agree. I just turned sixteen on the 30th of May. Why not? OH, YEAH. I have to speak in Spanish.

If you've been reading my blogs for some time, you probably know that I was born and am being raised in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans speak Spanish. I should speak Spanish...and I do. I'm just not able to express myself well enough. Ever since kindergarten, I have been attending an all-English school. If I ever dared to speak Spanish outside of Spanish class, I'd get fined. Yes, I would get fined. Every single time. Eventually, I got used to speaking English at all times, and my Spanish just kind of went downhill from there. This sucks, because now, when I really need that skill, I don't have it. I can't get a job if I can't convince the manager that I'm able to converse with others, let alone the manager him/herself. So, basically, I have to script what I will say to the manager, and will inevitably panic if I'm not ready for the questions that will be asked. But, come on. With my maths skills, I'm pretty sure I would at least get a job as a cashier, right? ... Let's hope so. Oh, the typical case of "should have-could have-would have"...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I hope everything will fall into place this summer, so I can actually have a story to tell my friends that is longer that one or two sentences. May the odds be ever in my favour (five points to those of you who recognised that)! I hope at least a few of you are able to relate to this post. Well, I regret to inform you that we must now sorrowfully part. Gotta dash!

                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment